Milestones

on Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I'm turning the big 40 in a few days.  To me, it's just another birthday, another year of getting older, but everyone around me thinks I should be making a bigger deal of it. Oh well, whatever. No mid-life crisis yet, no desire to buy a fast car or date a 20 year old.  After Kenny decided to run a marathon on his, I had thoughts of maybe running 40km, but that's a long way so maybe I'll wait until I turn 42 before I try that. 

I decided this year to try and do TIFF again.  It's been a few years since I have.  Not being as young as I once was, I won't be trying to do the 50 films in one week thing which I don't think I ever was able to do properly.  I ended up choosing a modest 20 films over 6 days with a rest day in the middle.  I ended up buying the tickets before remembering that I had already signed up for a 5k race on the 2nd last day of the festival. But checking the schedule, the first film for me on that day isn't until noon and the race is at 8:30am so that should be plenty of time.  I generally hate 5k's and I'm sure this won't be any different, but it's the only race in the area that kinda fit into my training schedule.

I also signed up for a 10k on Sept 27 for the Korean Peace Marathon.  I'm always a bit wary when a run that isn't 42.2k calls itself a marathon and I'm not sure if this is an actual race or more of a charity run/walk. The only reason I found it was because it was listed on the sportstats.ca website (chip timing company) as an upcoming event. It hasn't been advertised anywhere else as far as I can tell. I'm assuming that since it's being chiptimed that it will at least resemble a race.  The one thing that has me concerned is that the entry fee was dirt cheap at $25. After you pay the timing company, there probably isn't that much left over for other amenities plus the fund raising aspect of it.  At least, I kinda look Korean so if it's not an actual race, I'll still kind of fit in. 

0 comments:

temp