The Second Job

on Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Today, I managed 8 miles with 4 at a tempo effort  The 4 LT miles ended up being at about 7:35 min/mile pace which is about where i was expecting it to be. Got up in morning to do it.  I've realized that I can't do runs after work. I just can't motivate myself do anything more than a short recovery run at the end of a long day.  

So today, good old Wiarton Willie predicted 6 more week of winter.  If it's 6 weeks more like the winter we've been having, that's fine with me.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to to take advantage of the lack of snow this past week.  Last week was the first week of a 12 week plan and it didn't go too well.  Only managed an 8 miler and a 6 miler and skipped the long run.   This whole training thing is started to feel like a second job.  I had this feeling leading up to my May marathon back in 2008.  At the time, the close to 70 mile weeks and the 6 days a week of running started to drag me down, but i kinda put up with it since I was so close to BQ'ing at the time.  Now with 2 hours of commuting on weekdays, i'm starting to get that same feeling but with far less running which is causing me to rethink this training plan and what i want to accomplish in Boston. Do i really want to requalify?  I'm already qualified for 2011 and probably won't be running it anyways, so the motivation is extremely lacking.  It's just very easy these days to put off runs.  I need to find where my mojo has gone.

5 comments:

EndorphinBuzz said...

February is always the hardest month to stay motivated. Your mojo will be back.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

tough time of year, especially with the added commute! Hope you find your mojo soon! :)

Cindy said...

I take a week off when I start feeling like running is a second job...by the end of the week I miss it.

yumke said...

I feel your pain -- from jan 2007 till this past summer I did two plus hours commuting.. made training very difficult. Now I live close by I just end up working longer days. Can you escape early one day a week -- it could help.

Yeah, I really have no desire to race Boston at all. In fact, I kinda want a low-key spring season.

Robin said...

It's tough to stay motivated all the time, but it has to stay fun! Good luck with your training.

temp