Wellsphere Spam

on Monday, May 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Feel hounoured now that I've received the Wellsphere email inviting me to become a part of the Wellsphere Health Network. Of course, they probably send this message out to everyone who has an email address posted on their blog.

For those that don't know, Wellsphere is a company who resyndicates content written by others. They send out an email praising your blog and content with the hopes of getting you to sign up with them. By agreeing to their terms, you basically allow them to resell anything you've written. Of course, none of that money will go to you. They say that you still own your own content which i suppose is technically true, but you end up granting them a "a royalty-free, paid-up, non-exclusive, worldwide, license to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, publicly perform and publicly display your Health Blogger Content..." which means you are giving them free use of your content and allowing them to do whatever they want with anything you've written. It's almost as if you are making them a co-owner of your content.

Be aware.

4 comments:

Mark said...

They've sent me countless invites related to my running blog. ugh.

yumke said...

Me too, I've read up on them too..

Mel-2nd Chances said...

yep, i got sucked before they recently got sold... i shut down that blog, and started fresh, where my content was mine. Problem was, when I said ok, they created an account for me, so i never saw the TOS! Grrr.

Love2Run said...

sounds too good to be true so there must be a catch, right? I'm glad I ignored the emails.

temp