Learning Lessons

on Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM

One lesson I learned while training in the winter was to take turns with extreme caution. Having wiped out several times while making turns, i learned to slow down to an almost complete stop before making a turn. The couple of seconds lost is more than made up for by the certainty of not doing a face plant. With the winter all but a distant memory, I headed out this morning for a short 5 mile recovery run in the rain. Got through almost the whole run without incident, but on the final turn for home, having forgotten lessons learned from winter training, i tried to take a corner without slowing down and I wiped out. Right knee was scraped and has road rash on it. Covered it up with a type of band-aid I haven't seen before and am hoping that it can heal to a point that I can still do the half on the weekend without having to have a dressing on it.

Lesson learned.

BTW, I did 8 miles on Wednesday including some 600m VO2Max repeats. Also did a couple at LT pace. The calf I think is on its way to recovery. It's feeling a tad looser now and I have been doing ultrasonic stuff on it and sticking and foam rolling it.

3 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad the road rash and calf aren't major issues. Have a great weekend!

Steve said...

WOW, you move so fast that you wipe out around corners..Thats awesome!

(But sorry you got scraped up) ;-)

Sonia said...

Happy to read that the calf is getting better.

I just read your Boston race report and what an amazing experience!!! I'm glad you went for fun and not time. I find you always enjoy a race more when you do it that way!

temp