Anyone there??

on Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Geez, it been a while. Here's an update. 37 miles for the first week of January and 38 miles the following week. I did 24 miles last week and I have done a big fat zippo this week. Training was going pretty good until this week. Some work things have come up and the crappy weather has been making running outside difficult. Though I was on an 18 week plan, I think i've missed too many runs. A 12 week marathon training plan would start this upcoming week but i don't think i will be able to run at all this week, so it'll be an 11 week plan at best.

I did sign up for the Around the Bay road race which is on March 29th. Looks like I'll be doing it at long run pace, though I may try to do it at my Boston pace which would get me under 2:15 which would allow me to receive a special medal.

My lack of posts lately and generaly non-existance in blogland has to do with my new company's web access policies. Previously, I could slip in the odd blog read at work since I only had to worry about people looking over my shoulder, but now the system allows the IT people to actually see what you're doing on your screen at any point in the day from whereever they happen to be which means no inappropriate use of companies internet resources. All this means is when I get home which has been pretty late lately, I have hundreads of posts to read through and if I skip a day, i end up with even more. I have to go through my subscriptions and cull some of them since I"m subscribed to about 300 different blogs. Not all of them are running blogs. At best, I end of skimming through them and looking at the pictures. Even if there is something interesting that i could comment on, it's usually a post that's several days old and I never feel right posting to an "old" blog post.

Things should hopefully get better after this upcoming week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Francis..

I know what you mean about being overwhelmed, I subscribe to about 200 blog feeds, but rarely get a change to read anything. I usually try to play catch up early on Sunday mornings ( 4:30am)

I was thinking about you today, because you're the first person who comes to mind when I think ..Boston Marathon. Watch out, you might have a friend from California there.

This might sound far fetched, but the powers that be, are seriously considering my application for entry to the Boston Marathon (as a mobility impaired athlete). Believe it or not, I actually met the qualifying time requirement at the Portland marathon in 2007. Right now they're going through the medical review process.
If I'm accepted, I will be one of the first people ever, to be classified as a disabled athlete based on severe lung disease and allowed to walk the course.

Sonia said...

The posts pilled up fast when you subscribe to a lot of blogs! I feel overwhelmed and I'm not even working yet LOL

Do your best for the training, we all get busy!

yumke said...

Welcome back!

on your behalf I ran east today. I didn't run all the way to Cherry Beach and ran on commissioners. On the way to the Beach, the north side of the road is plowed while the south isn't. The board walk area in Ashbridges is not plowed. Anyways, seems a lot iffier than west to Humber which is all plowed.

Anonymous said...

WOAHHHH! 300?!?!?! I have 70!! And some of those I don't read b/c they are law and health (or steepandcheap) blogs that post 30 times a day. Unless I'm way bored I have to skip those.

You definitely need to cull your list-but leave me on it!! :)

jen said...

Hi! that sucks about your web policy at work, but we all understand. I guess I'll just have to post more pictures to catch your interest! hehe

Good luck on your upcoming runs.. I know you have the fitness to carry you through so any training you can do is good. :)

Perry said...

Yes, it's tough to keep up with everything. We all do our best and that's all you can hope for. I appreciate following your training and your writing. Keep up the great work and good luck with the upcoming marathon.

I've been trying to train through the winter here in Chicago and it's been absolutely terrible. Only managing about 25-30 miles a week. My long run has only been 10 miles. Marathon in 6 weeks. Yikes!

temp