Running outside

on Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM

So this past week looked like this:

Tuesday: 8 miles with 3miles @ 7:13 pace on the treadmill

Friday: 8 miles very slow on treadmill. Ran into some HR spiking problems even while trying to run slow. Had to stop to walk several times. I've noticed a definite pattern where I encounter this HR problem when I haven't slept well. I did not sleep well because the office "Festive" party was Thursday night.

Sunday: 10.2 miles outside at average pace of 9:36. This was only the 2nd time I've run outside since I did the half marathon back at the start of November. It was a relatively balmy 4C. it was slippery in places where the snow had melted and refroze and started melting again. I ran this by heart rate and my pace is way down. While I've been able to get to a pace of 8:35 on the treadmill at a HR of 160, when running outside the pace is a full minute slower. I've noticed this type of discrepancy before, but never by this much. Maybe my body just needs to get used to running outside again.

I also went to a Bodyflow class on Wednesday. It's supposed to be a combination of Pilates, Tai Chi and Yoga. I've been wanting to work on my flexibility and thought that this might help. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. My muscles would tremble during some the poses and i worked up quite a bit of sweat at times. I think I'm going to try and attend the Wednesday class for the next two weeks since the training plan has a rest day on Wednesday.

Speaking of the training plan, the 18 week plan starts this week which looks as follows:

Monday: rest
Tuesday: 7 miles General Aerobic with 10 strides
Wednesday: rest (Bodyflow class)
Thursday: 9 miles GA
Friday: rest
Saturday: 4 miles recovery
Sunday: 12 miles

I'm going to try and do all the runs outside, with the expcetion of Thursday's run which I'm looking at doing at the gym since I want to try to include a 4 mile LT run.

Have a good week all!

2 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

With me, dreadmill running is the opposite. I run at least a minute slower on the mill.

It is suggested that you set the incline at 1% to account for air resistance and the fixed ground; you may already be doing this.

Sonia said...

4 days of running a week? I'm surprised you chose this training schedule! After the crazy 6 days you were on last!

Anyhow, I hope it goes well for you =)

temp