Contemplating races...

on Friday, November 7, 2008 at 9:11 PM

So let's see.  Last week I didn't run at all and this week I did about 9 miles on Tuesday and 6 miles yesterday.  I'll going to try and put in maintenance mileage over the next month or so.  Boston training would start in December, but i have no desire to try and run a PR at Boston.  In fact, I'm going to aim for a personal worse time, just to force myself to enjoy the experience.  In the process of doing that,  I don't want to feel too miserable so i have to be in some kinda marathon shape.  Competing interests?  Yeah, probably.  


I'm giving serious thought of racing the Around the Bay road race which is 3 weeks before Boston.  it would force me to train and sludge through another winter of training and peak for a fairly long distance and then i could comfortably run Boston a few weeks later.  I'm also trying to figure out what other races I might want to do next year.  I noticed in Runner's World an ad for the Kauai marathon  in Hawaii next year.  It's a first time event and happens to be on my birthday.  that would be fun to do.  I think I'll probably enter the lottery for NY and try my luck at that.  I'd like to try and complete the 5 marathon majors at some point in my running career so it's better to start now then later.  

5 comments:

Sonia said...

Marathon is Hawaii would totally kick ass as a birthday present 'From you, to you' =)

ATB is great and you know you wanna! Plus there is always tons of maniacs there =)

yumke said...

Hey, I also endorse ATB. I'm making it a goal race to go sub 2:15 (probably aim for 4:30 pace for first 25K then try to turn it up during the last 5K. Plus that'll get you a silver medal.

You still doing the Resolution Run 5K? Maybe you can attempt the sub 20 you've been seeking.

Anonymous said...

um, hellooo! of course you should do the hawaii marathon on your b-day!!! :)

jen said...

I ran a PW at Boston my first time and it was awesome. :)

You should totally do a marathon on your birthday! And in Hawaii? Can't beat that!

Arcane said...

yeah i suppose hawaii would be nice, but i don't want to be one of those people that only goes places to run marathons, even though the past two years, the only vacations I've actually travelled to have been to run marathons!

temp