Ironman?

on Monday, September 1, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Didn't do as much running this past week as I would have liked. It seems the extra week I got for a work thing just means that i get another week of no running. I managed a 5k run yesterday at 9:24 pace and then managed another 10.2 miles today @9:14 pace. I turned off the autopause on the new garmin and didn't manually stop it and it seems to have measured the distance okay. The first mile was a bit long which i think was caused by not having locked onto enough satellites, but the distance seemed to be okay for the rest of the run.

It's a bit disheartening to read about everyone going into their peak marathon training whereas I've been relegated to doing recovery runs. It's been a bit tough to get motivated to get out there with nothing really to train for. I still would like to do a half this year to try and PR and it shouldn't be too hard to beat my half PR time of 1:35:04 since I've been able to run faster times during the first half of marathons.

Congratulations to Mike who did his first ironman yesterday! This got me thinking about the ironman again. I set out to reach a goal of running Boston before I turned 35. I had this backup goal of doing an ironman instead if the Boston qualifying thing didn't play out. I always considered it to be one or the other. I never thought it would be a possibility that i might be able to do both, until last night. Ironman-Louisville 2009 is perfectly timed and is one week before i turn 35. Hmmmm, of course, there's the whole issue of learning to bike 112 miles and swim 2.4 miles. But hey there's a whole year to train for that!

Oh yeah, Boston 2009 registrations start on Wednesday!!!!

3 comments:

Sonia said...

I hear you on reading about all these marathon training peaks while we're doing low mileage, I just wish my foot would cooperate...

O.M.G.!!! Did you register for Louisville??!! I have the IM bug too but mine is for before my 40th B'day.... no pressure!!! I jumped on the marathon bandwagon way too quickly into my running career won't do the same for my triathlete path! lol

Arcane said...

NO!!I haven't registered for the ironman, nor do i intend to. It's just a thought that entered my mind last night. Guess I should have made that clearer.

yumke said...

So did you register for Boston?!

Ironman.. That's a whole another league, isn't it. crazy!

temp