Marathon Movie

on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Wednesday: Did 10 miles which included 4x1200m at 5k race pace. I was hoping to do these at 6:18 pace since this what I did on the treadmill last week. That's translates into about 47s for every 200m. To be honest, I don't think I could maintain this pace for 5k but this is what I did last year during these intervals so I'm doing it again.

Lap Time Pace
04:44.4 06:21.4
04:49.8 06:28.7
04:42.6 06:19.0
04:44.3 06:21.3

I am usually able to keep track of pacing by keeping track of the split times every 200m. I forgot to turn off the autolap feature on my watch so during the second interval, I had a premature lap reset which caused me to lose track of how fast I was going. I definitely don't like 5k pace. I finished off with 4 miles which included the last 2 miles at sub 8min/mile pace which is pretty good considering the HR was maintained below 160.

Today: Did 13.25 miles. Average 8:23 pace. Got up at 4:45am this morning. The plan originally had me doing 15 miles but I didn't actually get out until 5:30 and ended up cutting the run a bit short. First 6 or 7 miles were done at a slower than 8:30 pace. The HR was actually quite low for this first part, almost all of it at lower than my recovery HR of 150, but my legs just felt heavy and it was hard to push the pace. I managed a couple of 8:15 during the 2nd half, including two sub 8min/miles right at the end though. This 6 days of running a week may finally be catching up to me. This is my third week of 6 days of running. I'm supposed to do a 9 miler tomorrow. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. It's not looking good as it's supposed to rain.

So went to see "Spirit of the Marathon" last night. To be honest, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I was expecting this to bowl me over and it didn't. It motivated me enough to get me up before 5am this morning, but I was just expecting more. I don't know what the more is, but just more. It probably didn't help that I started getting motion sickness towards the end and had to close my eyes at times. I did like the line by one of the spouses to the effect that:

Anything more than 5 miles is what cars, cabs and public transit are for. :)

It was nice seeing all the sites of the Chicago marathon again. I was thinking to myself, hey I remember that escalator at the expo, I remember that street and that corner. Kinda makes me want to do Chicago again this year. I guess we shall see...

4 comments:

yumke said...

Nice intervals. Yeah, I hate 5K speed too. I also hate early morning runs, but best be used to them, I guess..

Triseverance said...

Couple of nice training runs there my friend. I especially like the 13 miler. Really solid HR there with a strong finish and your HR never really started to get near your Red Zone. Good work.

Sonia said...

When you build expectations that's when you're disappointed I guess. I really enjoyed it =)

Hope you got your 9 miler in, we're on tornado watch with 50 km/h!

Perry said...

Too late on the Chicago marathon. It's sold out. Sometimes I think they take too many applicants. They should at least allow you to sell your spot.

temp