LT run

on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 11:25 PM

So I'm still considering the marathon in 3 weeks. Decided today to try to see if I could hold an LT pace for what I should be running for a BQ time since I'm still thinking there's a possibility of a longshot attempt at a BQ.

I did a 15km race back in August and averaged 6:49 pace so I thought I would try and see if I could hold that pace for 4 miles at what my LT heart rate should be of less than 180. Most of my LT runs lately on the treadmill have been at 8.6mi/hr which is about 6:58 pace. Had to do it at the gym today cause the weather outside is just a nightmare. I did a 4 mile warmpup and then set the treadmill at 1% elevation and 8.8 miles an hour for a 6:49 pace. The HR hit 181 a couple of times towards the end but i seem to have handled it okay. I was thinking of trying a simulated treadmill 10k race on Saturday to see if I could hold a pace which would translate into a BQ time. But I don't want to bite off more than I could chew since I haven't done any interval running in a while. Trying to suddenly do 6:30 to 6:35 pace might be a bit of a shock to the legs and I don't want to risk an injury.

Also you'll note that I've kinda changed the blog back into semi-anonymous mode. There's a reason that I'll probably let you in on in a little while but there's a need for me to be a little bit unsearchable.

4 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

I commend you on running on the dread-mill... there is no way I can run more than 4 miles at a time, much less speed/threshold pace...

Good luck on whatever you decide...

oh, and since I subscribe to your blog and get it as a feed, I hadn't noticed the changes.

Anonymous said...

hi! yes, i like to be unsearchable too. :) good luck with the recent efforts to BQ!! you are dedicated to your goal!!

jen said...

Great run!

I love that you are still considering Napa... you should do it. :) Have you already made travel arrangements? If anything it would be a nice little vacation- we've had lovely weather out here lately. Race day could be rainy or a little warm but it could also be perfect. I would love to come up and cheer you on- keep us updated. :)

Arcane said...

No travel arangements made yet. i have been looking at flights and hotels though. Probably won't decide until I get a good idea of what the weather is going to be like.

temp