Sick...

on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 8:12 AM

No running since the long run on Sunday. I've gotten a cold and it's hit me pretty hard. I took yesterday and today as sick days from work. I had contemplated going to the gym to try and get some miles in but I figured that most people there wouldn't appreciate me spreading my germs around. I'm pretty sure I picked this cold up at the gym last Wednesday after my LT run since I started getting a bit of a sore throat on Thursday. I've been reading some stuff online about gym germs and it ain't pretty. Will try and do a shortish recovery run later today outside. Forecast is predicting a dumping of snow for tomorrow so it looks like I may have to head back to the gym on the weekend.

So you're probably all wondering why I've been doing marathon pace runs and 20 mile runs and 7 mile LT runs. You'd think I was training for a marathon or something. Well, in fact, I am or at least was. I signed up for the Napa valley marathon on March 2. I did this back on New Year's eve. This was going to be the last possible chance of getting to Boston 2008. Pretty nice, net downhill course. Officially, this marathon doesn't bill itself as being able to be used to qualify for Boston 2008 since the cut-off date for boston registrations is march 1, but I've been reading online and it seems that some people in the past have used it to qualify for Boston in the same year. Anyhow, I don't think I'll be running it since I don't think I'll be able to recover from this cold and get back into marathon shape by March 2.

Trying now to figure out what to do. With the pressure off for a winter marathon I can do a bunch of things which I had been holding off such as getting my wisdom teeth pulled and blood tests. With that out of the way, I can then focus on building up a base for a fall marathon.

8 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

Use this training as base... you can then concentrate on that fall 'thon... I hope you fell better soon.

Love2Run said...

A couple of days off shouldn't kill your chances for a good run at Napa. Sometimes a rest is exactly what the doctor ordered!

yumke said...

Could always shoot for a May marathon? Mississauga, Ottawa or the one jellyp and I are doing (Flying Pig)

Sonia said...

Oh man this sucks. Colds are everywhere at the moment. Our institute is like a germ house... Hope you're going to feel better soon. Too bad about the the Napa marathon sounds like a neat race and California is a pretty nice place to take a vacation. As Ken said you could definitely set your goal on a May marathon even if that means Boston 2009, you will achieve this goal this year!!

jen said...

Hope you feel better soon! I thought you were up to something... too bad it won't work out, but it's probably for the best. Rest up!

Sonia said...

Hope you're feeling a little better by now.

Ryan said...

First, and more importantly, hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you are in need of major rest and recovery.

Second, I do not think the cut-off for Boston is march 1. The fee goes up, but there is no cut-off day as to when you must register listed on the site. There is a cap.

KimsRunning said...

I only started running last October to train for Sarasota. I pulled an achilles, and got the flu the week I was supposed to do my 20 mile! I still ran the marathon. Finished in 5:33:38 and I had THE BEST time. I didn't walk for 2 days, but I'm already signed up to do Cape Cod in October!! Did you wind up running Napa?

Kim

temp