Week in review

on Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Last week was hectic for me which included me not being able to turn off my car when I got home on Wednesday since the key was stuck in the run position and couldn't be turned. I ended up driving it to the dealer where I left it running on its own over night to run out of gas. The car is still under warranty but this is the third time I've had to take it into the dealer to get key issue looked at. Worse part is that it's still not fixed as when I went in to pick it up on Friday after being told it was fixed, the guy who drove the car out front for me to drop it off couldn't remove the key. Piece of crap car. Anyways aside from that I managed to get my runs in as follows:

Tuesday: 8.1 miles including 10 strides. Overall pace of 8:40 min/mile. I did the strides midway through the run around a track with jog recoverys. In the past, I've done strides at the end of the run with walking recoverys. It allows me to concentrate on form. When doing the strides during the run, I find they tend to get sloppier after each stride because of fatigue. I just don't seem to have time to do 10 strides with walking recoveries cause they just take too long to do.

Wednesday: 4 mile recovery @9 min/mile. It was supposed to be 5 miles. Whoops.

Thursday: 10 miles @ 8:13 min/mile. I had to do this run in the evening since I had to leave early in the morning to catch a bus to the car dealer to explain why my car was in their parking lot with a key stuck in the ignition and no gas in the tank. It's been almost 2 months (end of April) since I've gone running in the evening so I wasn't sure how the legs would react, but they held out okay. Also I had my ART appointment on Thursday. More of the same as before. He thinks I'll only need one more appointment. I'm not sure. The knee has improved since before I started the treatment but this last appointment didn't really do much. My knee doesn't hurt during a run, but is generally sore afterwards. I've been neglecting my quad strengthening exercises lately, so I'll try and do some of those this week which together with the treatment will hopefully get this knee pain gone.

Saturday: 4 mile recovery @ 9:10 min/mile

Today: 17.2 miles. Drove downtown to run by the lake where it was refreshingly cool. Good thing I went down early cause it's really hot now.

Lap Lap Time
Lap Lap Time
1 08:35.7
10 08:05.1
2 08:12.0
11 08:25.7
3 08:05.8
12 08:19.1
4 08:16.5
13 08:30.1
5 07:38.7
14 08:32.4
6 08:26.3
15 08:18.0
7 08:13.4
16 08:07.9
8 08:15.7
17 08:18.0
9 08:25.9
18 02:32.9


Lap 5 was a little short but I did a little extra at the end to make up for it. I really overhydrated for this by drinking a few bottles of water the night before and a whole bottle of gatorade before starting. I had to take three separate bathroom breaks, including 2 that were only 10 minutes apart. Those kidneys sure work fast!
This upcoming week has the following:

Tuesday: 9 miles with 4 miles @ LT
Wednesday: 5 miles recovery
Thursday: 10 miles
Saturday: 5 miles recovery
Sunday: 17 miles

I hope everyone's training is going well. Have a great week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like my 2002 VW Jetta. in addition to 3 recalls for which i've had to bring it in i also brought it in about every three months for four years (while it was under warranty) to get fixed. booo!!

it looks like your running is going well!

-Audrey-

Ryan said...

First, that really sucks about the car. How frustrating. I've never heard of such a quirky thing!

Second, great job on knocking out this week's mileage. Sweet 17-miler...!

jen said...

That is seriously weird about your car. I've never heard of that.

Very nice job on the runs. Your long one was speeeeedy! Keep it up! :)

Sonia said...

Stupid car that's all I have to say!!

17 miles without knee pain that's pretty amazing! I'm sure A.R.T. has something to do with this!

Hope you're going to have another great week

yumke said...

Looks like a great week. Question on your long runs.. what pace did you target last year when you were training for chicago... i'm doing the math for marathon pace minus x.. just tring to figure out what the x is..

Anonymous said...

And you thought you were injured. Nice work on the runs.

When you talk about strides, what exactly do you do?

temp