Long run and dehydration

on Monday, June 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Did 14.2 mile run yesterday. Was hoping to maintain about 8:45 mn/miles but ended up slowing down toward the end.

Lap Lap Time
Lap Lap Time
1 09:09.0
9 08:20.8
2 08:50.1
10 09:04.0
3 08:55.1
11 08:59.5
4 08:34.0
12 09:06.7
5 08:45.2
13 09:26.4
6 08:46.1
14 09:43.6
7 08:44.3
15 01:48.9
8 08:43.3



My long runs in the nice cool winter had gotten me accustomed to being able to do a whole run on just one bottle of water. The was a timely reminder that i need to drink more during the summer. The last couple of miles were tough and I was dehydrated by the end.

I made an appointment to have my knee looked at this Friday by an ART practitioner. Sonya has recommended this a while back and I'm hoping that it'll help. It's actually kinda neat because the technique is described as being "patented" which is interesting for me from a professional point of view since patents are what I do for a living. A quick search found this patent which kinda describes the process but not really. I was hoping to read up on how it works with the leg muscles with the hope that I might be able to do it on myself, but they don't give any examples for the legs. In fact, I wouldn't really even call it "patented" as the patent relates more to training someone in how to perform a very general therapy as opposed to the therapy itself.

4 comments:

Sonia said...

I'm glad you're trying ART for your knee, it totally cleared my shin splints. I hope you're going to get the same great results! Keep us updated.

The humidity is so intense here, I drank about 2L mix water/gatorade at the race on Sunday! It really affects speed!

Colleen said...

I just checked out the ART website and it sounds interesting. Hope that goes well for you and helps out the knee.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

I have heard that ART therapy works magic! Give it a try, what's the worst that can happen right!?

I hope things work out for you!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

http://addictedtoendorphins.blogspot.com/2007/04/be-careful-of-heat.html
Read that. Don't get dehydrated!!

temp