I hate 5k's

on Saturday, June 2, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I've never really liked 5k's since it usually is associated with the concept of run till you puke. As much as I like running, I don't like the feeling of 5k's cause they are way too hard. But I thought it would be interesting to do spring one just to get one out of the way for this year.

Did a 5k race this morning and it sucked or more accurately, I sucked. My legs were still sore from doing those strides on Thursday. My left knee is still giving me some issues. Guess it wasn't a good idea to do strides for the first time in a couple of months 2 days before a race. Add to that the temperature was about 24C when we started and I knew it was going to be a bad day. I started off at about 5k pace but approaching 4 minutes when I started looking for the 1k marker, I realized the course wasn't marked so I had no idea what my splits were. The shoelaces on my shoe with my footpod on it started loosening at this point which meant my Polar device was also going to be useless for pace. I ended up backing off at that point. In any event, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to hold that pace. My final time was 22 minutes flat and i reached a maximum HR of 194 right at the end. This was a bit frustrating for me since my average pace was 7:05 for the 5k. A couple of weeks ago, I did a 4 mile LT run, at a pace of 7:07, but a lower HR.I was thinking of doing a 10k race in a couple of weeks, but now I'm not so sure I want to.

3 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Oh, Fran...I'll take your 5K time any day of the week. Try not to beat yourself up too badly, okay? You did good.

Mia said...

I imagine it takes quite a bit of time to be able to know when one can sustain an ALL-OUT pace for a 5K. At least with a 10K you'll have more breathing room to do an almost-all-out :)

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Anonymous said...

I agree, 5Ks are really tough races and they make you feel worse than even the marathon. Of course, you feel better a lot quicker than after a marathon.

Don't get discouraged by the performance of one 5K. Anyone can have an off race. Go out and try another.

Perry

temp