Intervals are hard

on Friday, April 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Well this is getting to be a theme. I had wanted to follow the plan of doing intervals on Tuesday and a tempo run on Thursday. It rained on Tuesday and due to a last minute request to get some work done by the end of Wednesday, I had to shift everything. I got home yesterday after work and ate a bit (actually quite a lot since I had a light lunch) and two hours later I headed out to the track to try and do the intervals. The plan called for 1km intervals with a 400m recovery. rather than do it at the ridiculously fast pace that they recommended, I decided to try and do them at 5km pace. I got through one, but started cramping up bad. Guess I shouldn't have eating so much. I headed home and decided to do them this morning. Went back to the track this morning and did 4x1km at about 4:08min/km. Quite tough. Panting like a dog after each interval. I had wanted to do another one, but my ankle was starting to get sore again.

Happy Easter Everyone!

6 comments:

Audrey said...

in HS we used to have two-a-days for soccer so at lunch my friend and i would go to her house and try not to eat too much so we wouldn't cramp up on the time trial run when we went back for the second session. EVERY SINGLE time we had too much soup or mac and cheese b/c we were too hungry. and then we cramped. my little bro is so skinny he has to time his eating just right. if he doesn't eat at all he has no energy reserves. if he eats too close to running-cramp city...

good luck :)

yumke said...

Yeah, intervals do hurt, don't they... that's why i wonder if i'll be able to follow a more disciplined routine for mmy next marathon...

Sonia said...

Happy Easter to you too!! Intervals are a pain and I believe this is why I started having shin splints this time around.

Anonymous said...

Intervals are tough. It reminds me of when I was on track in high school. I always felt like I wanted to puke. Intervals still make me feel that way.

Ryan said...

Nice job on putting yourself thru the intervals. That's discipline!! I'll need some tips from you.

Arcane said...

Steve,

Yeah I meant to say stomach cramps. I guess that's different from other cramps which I generally don't get(other than side stiches). The intervals are done at 5k pace, so each 1km repeat is done at 5k pace. The recovery's are slow jogs or a mix of jogging/walking.

temp