More treadmill running

on Friday, February 16, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Tuesday: Did 8 miles at the gym. Started at 6.5 mi/hr and increased the speed by .1 after each mile split. I was trying to get a feel for what speed I should be at for my long run pace at a HR of less than 160. 7 miles/hr averaged a HR at just under 160. The plan called for 8 strides as well, but instead I ended up just doing the last .15 miles at 9 miles/hour.

Wednesday: Went back to the gym to do a 5 mile recovery run. Started out at 6,5 miles/hour but slowed down to 6.4 miles for the last two miles.

Thursday: Did 8 miles at the gym again. Started out at 6.5 mi/hr for 1 mile and then bumped it to 6.8 for 3 miles and then again to 7.0 for miles 5 through 8. Just about perfect for HR for the last 4 miles of being just under 160. The little blip at mile 6 is me having to stop the treadmill and restart it since the thing automatically turns off after an hour. 7 mi/hr translates to an 8:35 pace. I'm not sure where this puts me in terms of fitness since I think I was doing my long runs a bit faster than this in the weeks leading up to Chicago, but it could just be the hot temperature in the gym that is causing me to slow down a bit at the same HR.

I developed a trigger point in my left quadricep and it's made running a bit awkward. I noticed it after my Tuesday run and I think it came to the forefront after the very brief sprint at the end. I haven't done any strides at all this training cycle and i think my muscles just rebelled a bit when asked to push the pace. I've been reading a bit about it in this book and noticed that quad trigger points can lead to knee pain which is what I've been experiencing as of late. So I'm hoping that if I can get rid of the trigger points that my knee pain will go away too. Strange enough as it is, but while flipping through channels on Thursday, I noticed the home shopping network was selling an ultrasonic device for getting rid of trigger points. I was seriously considering buying it but don't know if it works. I've been relying on The Stick to get rid of trigger points and I've found it works well.

The temperature supposed to warm up this weekend a bit, so I'm looking forward to heading outside again.

1 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

I'm about finished with outdoor running in this terribly cold winter weather. Ugh!! I wish I could manage that many miles on my dreadmill, but I just can't seem to get past 6!

temp