Crunchy Snow

on Friday, January 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM

So I didn't get around to doing the 10 miles I had planned for yesterday as I couldn't get up in the morning and it was too cold and too late when I got back from work last night. Since it's the first week of marathon training and I really didn't want to have to report that I was skipping runs during the first week, I decided to to do it today. The temperature was -18C degree outside this morning. Really cold, but thankfully there was no wind.


Lap Lap Time
1 09:19.50
2 09:14.60
3 09:15.70
4 09:54.00
5 10:10.70
6 09:17.80
7 09:32.60
8 08:53.50
9 08:38.60
10 08:54.80

HR is still up, but it's coming down a little. The 10 min/mile were around a slightly snow covered track. I like the sound of snow crunching under my feet as I run. It has an almost hypnotic sound to it and gets me to zone out at times. I'm also finding that running on snow and ice forces me to be more efficient with my running. It should pay off when the spring time rolls around.

Though I was generally warm while running, I think I have to buy something to cover my face if I'm going to keep running outside in temperatures like this since my face was dry and chapped when I got back.

I'm going to try and do 4 mile recovery tomorrow morning and a 14 mile long run on Sunday.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

My HR is up from where is was back in Oct also. I did a 5 miler yesterday and could only hold my LT for a couple of miles. Don't sweat it. It's winter. Nice work on the 10 miler.

yumke said...

That's so weird.. I had that same thought about the cold snap we've had.. that it was cold, but not horrible for running cause the wind was managable.. even a sick runner can't stop thinking like a healthy runner, i guess

Audrey said...

yeah. i don't love my heart rate monitor for training zones so much as i think i am going to love it as a gauge of fitness!

Kristi said...

I don't know if you have Sports Authority stores around you, but they carry a great facemask. I'm not sure who it's made by but it's fleece (which I personally love) and instead of pulling on over your head it velcros behind. Think of a bandana style mask. They also carry several of the pull over the head type. They were the cheapest supplier around here.

temp