Recovery Run

on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 11:19 PM

Well all, I decided to sign up for the 30km race this weekend.  I don't think I'm going to race it though and will probably just do marathon pace for about 2/3 of it.  One thing that concerns me is trying to run in complete darkness.  Part of the course is on a piece of land that juts out into Lake Ontario.  I've run on this part of the course before and know that there are SPEED BUMPS there.  I've never run there at night and can't remember if there are street lamps there, but I sure as hell hope so.  Otherwise I can see a lot of people doing face plants into the cement.   I never really noticed this part of the waiver before and am not sure if they added it just for this race but feel that it's particularly relevent  to running in the dark.

I assume any and all risks associated with the event; including but not limited to, falls, contact with other persons or objects, the effects of weather, traffic and course conditions.

Anyhow, I figured that the easiest way to move up my training schedule by a day to accodate the Saturday race is to just skip a training day this week.  It's not too bad since of the 5 runs scheduled, 3 of them are recovery runs.  I'll just skip one of the recovery runs which I'll probably partially make up for in having to run an extra 3 miles on race day.  Also I normally run in the morning, but will try to get my runs in after work for the rest of the week to get the body used to running in the evening. 

Having said that i did 6 miles at recovery pace starting at 8:30pm.  By the time I finished it was dark. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to properly carbo load for a race in the evening?  Normally I would eat a good pasta dinner the night before a morning race and that would give the body a good 12 hours or so to have it processed.  If I tried to do that, it would require me to eat a pasta dinner at about 7:00 in the morning.  I don't think my stomach would handle that too well. 

0 comments:

temp