Race Day, not really!

on Saturday, August 19, 2006 at 11:02 AM

I did 6 miles at recovery pace with 6 strides on Friday night starting at about 9:30pm, just to get the feeling of what it was like to run  at about 10:30pm. 

I just finished a breakfast consisting of two plates of pasta to try and carboload for the 30k race tonight

I'm not going to be racing this, but will be using it as a training run.  Part of the run I'll be doing at marathon pace which I think will be between  7:50 and 8min/mile.  The plan for the race is to do 3 km warmup at long run pace, 20km @ marathon pace, 3 km long run pace and then 5 km recovery which should have me finishing in just under 2:40.  That's easy for me to say now, but once it actually gets dark, I may end up having to modify the plan. 

I'm going to be running in my new Sauconys which up until now I've only done recovery runs in.  I know you're not supposed to try anything new on race day, but the adrenalines are getting close to their 300 mile limit and I'm not sure they'll be able to give me the support I need for another 18 mile long run let alone one that includes 12 miles @ marathon pace. The Sauconys haven't given me too much of a problem yet, so my fingers are crossed.

Also the forecast is predicting a slight drizzle of run which means we won't be running by moonlight.  On the positive side, it will hopefully be keeping the insects away!

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Good luck on the race! Imagine boy! I tried on my "new" sauconys (2 weeks old with 3-5 miles runs in them) for a 15 mile run too this morning and they were great. I'm sure you won't have any problem.

Good luck again, I hope it's not pouring rain like it was in Windsor this morning.

yumke said...

So how did it go?!

Arcane said...

Pretty good! I ended up going a lot faster than I had intended. Hopefully i won't pay for it down the road. I just posted my race report.

temp