Mileage buildup

on Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 9:41 PM

I forgot to set my alarm this morning and ended up sleeping in which is probably for the best. I did do my Pfitz mandated 11 miles after work though at around 8:50 pace. It was a lot cooler than's it's been and my HR was way down. Averaged a HR of about 155 for the entire run and that included about 1 mile at 8 min/mile right at the end.

I did part of the run around a local track and a guy who was walking around it asked me slow down so he could talk to me and started telling me that I shouldn't be running on the asphalt because its going to make my ligaments weak. I didn't want to argue with him so i just thanked him and went on my way. It did get me thinking though. I'm beginning to feel a bit of discomfort in my left knee. It's not painful yet, but if I try to do weight bearing one leg raises on the knee, I can't. It just doesn't seem strong enough. Maybe I should be doing some weight training for the legs. This Pfitz plan is a lot of mileage. My max that I've ever done in a week is 54.5 miles which I did once while peaking for a previous marathon. This Pftiz plan I'm doing, only has a max of 55 miles once also but has me doing 54 miles next week as well as 4 other weeks at 50+. I'm really beginning to wonder if I can handle all this mileage...

1 comments:

Triseverance said...

I felt the same way looking at the Pfitz plan. My confidence has been building and I am on pace this week to do this 50 miler my largest ever without to much trouble. I run more on time so my weeks tend to come up a mile or two short but I don't let this bother me. Keep up the good running.

temp