Tempo Tuesday- Try #2

on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Pftiz schedule has me doing 8 miles with strides today, but I wanted to take another crack at doing the tempo run that I bombed last week. Out the door at a little after 6am. Not trusting my Polar, I decided to do my tempo runs at a local shopping mall. Using Google Earth, I mapped out a 1 mile course around the exterior of the parking lot. I ran this way last year and found it worked great, especially when it was still dark in the morning cause the parking lot would be illuminated. My own personal lighted 1 mile track.


Suprisingly, the polar actually did quite well at measuring distance. My manually timed 1 mile split times for the tempo run were:

Lap Lap Time Avg Dist min/mile
4 07:15.4 169 0.998 7:16
5 07:26.1 179 1.007 7:23
6 07:34.5 181 1.022 7:24
7 07:31.8 182 1.007 7:28

The polar came quite close to measuring 1 mile each time and the calculated pace was only off by a max of 10s for one of the laps. My HR was a little on the high side and the pace was a tad fast, but I'm quite happy with the result.

3 comments:

SRR said...

Look at those splits! I'd be pretty happy with them too! :-)

Triseverance said...

Yea sometimes you just want to go back and give it another try. These are tough workouts to get the hang of, at least for me. Nice splits and good running.

Ryan said...

Very nice running... super fast! I like the illuminated track idea.

temp